What I’m up to the week of Dec. 3, 2018:
- Setting up a Patreon page for any of you who’d like to support my writing–and get a lot more of it: https://www.patreon.com/Kristenhg
- Proofreading a very soothing, enlightening book about mindfulness and horses. A balm in these troubled times.
- Continuing to create the first draft of Willa the Night Witch, a middle-grade fantasy novel. I plan on being done with this draft by the end of 2018 so I can put it away for a few months and revise with a fresh brain.
- Working on the final stages of design for Beat the Boss, a role playing game for organizing on the job and in the community. It was written by my husband, a role player for 30 years and an organizer for nearly 20. We’re planning a Kickstarter in February 2019 with online and retail sales available in March. Cover reveal coming soon!
- Deciding on a new tool to keep track of all the tasks associated with publishing and freelancing. I’m giving Trello a go this week since people seem to love it, and it integrates with Evernote, which is where all my research materials live. This should, in theory, make it super simple for me to create the essays for you all. As my business evolves, I often need to change the tools I’m using to make it all work.
- You know what tools have worked for ages, though? Evernote, Freshbooks, and a Bullet Journal. All the others work for a while and then don’t, but these three have been my go-tos for running my freelance business for ages, and they’re flexible enough for my publishing business too.
- Getting a massage and getting in my runs for the week.
- Meeting with my best friends and fellow publishing, freelance, and business pros. It may look like we eat a lot of hummus and drink a lot of beer (and we do), but we also have created whole new projects and even lives for ourselves while we dunk carrots in squished-up garbanzo beans and garlic.