Skip to content
- Procrastinate by proofreading a friend’s novel because I am all about giving back to the writing community.
- Play some video games.
- Open up all the notes and outlines. Despair. I thought I had better notes. This isn’t an outline; it’s a list of facts. I’m supposed to make a story out of this? Shit shit shit.
- Strap on headphones and dig into writing anyway, though the draft is beyond terrible. It is embarrassing.
- Come up for air an hour and a half later when the dog nudges you for the afternoon walk and dinner. Guess the writingÂ started going well at some point.
- Walk and feed the dog, feed the cats and the rat, and grab an apple for yourself. Writing needs fuel!
- Finish up a not so bad 2000-word draft of chapter 3Â that includes two racing crashes from the early 1900s and an all-caps New York Times headline (“VICTIMS TOSSED IN THE AIR”).
- Achievement unlocked: not cooking dinner and dibs on the beer in the fridge.