A manuscript evaluation is a high-level read-through of your novel usually quite early in the process. It looks at big-picture issues such as:
- narrative arc
- character development
- length (long or short)
What Do I Get with a Manuscript Evaluation?
- An editorial letter of usually 7-8 pages of feedback and suggestions as either a Word doc or a PDF.
- You will not receive a marked-up manuscript with track changes and comments, only the editorial letter.
- A roadmap for revisions, including strong points to build on and weak points to address
- A completed evaluation within 3-6 weeks, depending on word count
Who Is a Manuscript Evaluation For?
- Authors who have revised their books to the best of their ability and know something is not working, but not what will click all of the parts into place and make it feel whole.
- Authors who want an educated, experienced eye to read their manuscript before submitting it to agents or small publishers.
- New authors who feel at a loss to evaluate their own work for strengths and weaknesses
What about the Cost?
- I provide a flat-rate estimate of both costs and time based on word count.
- I require a 50% deposit before I begin the evaluation, with the remaining 50% to be paid after I return the editorial letter.
- I provide a professional contract to protect both your work as author and mine as editor.